October 17, 2005

Senti .. (Don't Read)

October 17, 2005 Posted by Vijay , 1 comment
Finally, after a long hiatus of 3 months, I went home, Kerala, God's Own country, to the cultural capital of Kerala, Thrissur. Boarded the bus on Wednesday last. Reached next day morning, which was a 10 hour journey. Home sweet home beckoned, and I was all ready to get pampered at my native. My parents, and my grandma. Thursday being a holiday, I had taken off the Friday to spend the weekend.

And, as always, mom was there to welcome me with open hands, the warmth which sometimes is so much that it gets to you. In tamil its called, "anbu thollai" and malayalam, more aptly, "snehicchu kollal". Well, if I were to put it in english, it would be - "strangling with love". But, I guess that's what moms are all about. And I was only too willing this time for such an opportunity get the better of me. And then there is grandma and dad. Grandma is one who I crack jokes with, whenever I am around her. We share more of a friendly rapport than anything else.

I went into my study room where I had spent(or did I ??) time studying hard, for the last 10 days of my semester exams, for my B.Tech. Those books, which had pages which were never turned over, they still were there. Those pages, which assured of marks, were there too, crampled up. But all were intact. But, it was on my table where I spotted something which I had long forgotten.

Being the unpredictable type, and fortunately, good at things like sketching, I found a piece of cartoon that I had sketched, that of Donald Duck and Daisy Duck. It was still there underneath the glass pane on my table. I got real nostalgic and felt the desire to sketch. But it was not all passionate a desire, not yet anyways ! But after lunch, I sat with mom and she was showing me the sketch she had made of a swamy. She had got it laminated and stuff. She sketches very well too. That was enough to trigger my hidden desire to sketch.

Like a child, I demanded for a piece of paper, that very moment, and got one from mom, the only one at home at that time. I went to my study room, picked up an Asterix comic, (Asterix and the Soothsayer) and started sketching. I was all excited and went on a sketching spree for the next 2 and half hours. Around 4 sketches, and the most time consuming of them all was my attempt to sexist my brother from the wedding snap of him and my sis in law. Well, I somehow didn't like it, when compared to the cartoons. But it had come out neat alright. Now, I was ready with the sketches. If mom can get her sketch laminated, I surely can atleast get my sketches xeroxed !! Took 2 copies each, and went around my home showing dad, mom and grandma the sketches. I was thrilled :) Then, the forgotten ritual of going to the temple nearby, a 5 minute walk, adorning the white mundu(dhoti as north indians refer to)(Thiruvambady - near Pattraikkal), took me to years gone by, to be precise, 3 years gone by.

The next day was no different. Another couple of sketches, same Asterix comic. But then, as is my want, I get bored very quickly, with something which triggers my passion instantly. And I had had enough of the sketches.

Friday passed by and come Saturday, the realisation dawned on me that I would have to leave the next day. For the first time, believe me, I felt like not leaving home. I had been lazing around, but I didn't mind it a bit. I wanted more of that. I told mom, I don't want to go. Felt a bit sad. Saturday had arrived, and I felt more attached to home, sweet home. But then, as they say, change is the only constant thing in life. And changing places is but part and parcel of change. And once I had started packing my bags, I had gotten over my attachment, and consoled myself. And there I was leaving my home, back to Bangalore.

1 comments:

Kiran Raj said...

hi vijay!! jus happened to stumble upon ur blog..
well its really difficult to leave home n come back to our regular chores.....was kinda senti..

nyways nice post..
happy bloggin!